I love a simple scrambled egg for breakfast once in a while, but as soon as I add a side of toast, english muffin or hash browns to my plate, I feel like my simple, light breakfast just got heavy. So I came up with this: Breakfast Salad. A fresh, crunchy, tasty accompaniment to your morning egg. (Of course this salad can be enjoyed anytime of day or night but I particularly like it in the morning.)
Another thing I love about this salad is that it’s tossed in one bowl — you don’t have to make the dressing separately. So it all comes together in minutes. Fast, light, healthy, yummy. Good morning!
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (I use Campari tomatoes, the ones that are a bit bigger than cherry tomatoes, and I slice them in fourths)
- 1 cup seeded, peeled, chopped cucumber (I use Persian)
- 2 Tablespoons diced shallots
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon best-quality olive oil
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt, or more to taste (I use Maldon)
- Healthy grinding of black pepper
- Chop or dice all the veg and herbs.
- Throw it all in a small mixing bowl
- Add the vinegar, oil, and salt and pepper.
- Mix. Serve.
- Cut your tomatoes with a bread knife. You’ll never look back.