The Health + Wellness Pillar hinges on planning ahead. That’s because “what to eat” isn’t a decision we make every now and then – we make it several times each day. Sometimes I get up in the morning thinking about what I’m eating that day for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between. And in the middle of a busy day, making the right choice is often a matter of what’s in arm’s reach.
Lately I’ve been crisscrossing the country on business travel. Boarding a flight every week can sap your strength and set you up for major pitfalls in your Health + Wellness. From airport snacks to plane food to room service, you’re surrounded by sugar, preservatives, bad fats and bad choices.
So, I travel with these nuggets of goodness. This recipe came to us from our beloved nutritionist, Bridgette Becker and her company, Taproot Energetics.
You can whip up these bites in less than 30 minutes (no baking required) and put them in the fridge to chill and set. And then they’re ready for you to pop into your mouth any time you have a craving. Nutty and delicious, they almost feel like dessert but they’re perfectly wholesome and healthy. Fabulous with a cup of herbal tea.
Plan ahead people! And enjoy this treat.
About 2 dozen
- 2 cup organic raw cashews
- 2 cup whole organic almonds
- 4 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tablespoons macadamia nuts
- 3 Tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- Unsweetened shredded coconut for rolling (about 1 cup)
- Line a cookie tray with parchment or waxed paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the chopped dates, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and vanilla. Set aside to let the dates soak in the liquid.
- Using a Vitamix, grind the nuts and seeds in two batches, to ensure the right consistency throughout:
- Grind together 1 cup cashews, 1 cup almonds, 2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeks.
- Remove the mixture from the Vitamix and put into a medium-sized mixing bowl (you may have to dig some of it out with the handle of a wooden spoon).
- Grind together 1 cup cashews, 1 cup almonds, 2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds, 3 Tablespoons macadamia nuts,
- Add to the bowl and combine with flaxseed meal and coconut flour.
- Add the date mixture to the nut mixture and mix with a spoon (or better, your hands) until well combined.
- Put the shredded coconut in a separate bowl.
- Roll the mixture into bite-sized balls, and roll again in shredded coconut.
- Put the Energy Bites on your cookie tray and chill in the fridge. They take about an hour to set. The more chilled they are the better!