It’s bright, it’s colorful, it looks fancier than it is, and it’s packed with flavor. In short, a perfect salad for your holiday table.
This salad has a part-sweet, part-savory sesame-honey dressing, and bold flavors like orange, cherry and red onion. It feels like a celebration.
At least 4
For the salad:
- 10 oz. box or bag of baby spinach leaves, washed
- 3 navel oranges
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ⅔ cup red onion
- ½ cup dried sweetened cherries
For the dressing:
- ½ cup best-quality olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (and more to finish)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Peel the oranges whole (you can just cut the peel off with a knife), then cut the orange in half lengthwise, and slice sections off from each half.
- Cut the red onion in half-moon slivers.
- In a large salad bowl, mix the spinach, almonds, orange slices, onion, and dried cherries.
- To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients (except the oil) in a bowl. Then slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking vigorously to emulsify.
- Starting with 1/3 cup of the dressing, toss the salad and finish with more kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- This dressing will make more than you need. Start with 1/3 cup and toss thoroughly. Taste a few leaves and add more if you like. The extra will store nicely in a sealed glass container for up to a week.