You gotta have a go-to morning smoothie. Something that you can make with your eyes closed. A smoothie you can whip up while you’re still waking up. This is mine – it’s so simple and delicious, and it sets me up for the entire day.
I always use frozen berries and banana for this recipe, because they make the smoothie cold and refreshing and the frozenness adds a little texture too. (So in other words, frozen fruit in place of ice). And there are lots of add-ins you can try to tailor this smoothie to your liking. See the Pillar Tips below.
- 3 cups fresh curly kale
- 1 cup frozen berries (blueberries, strawberries, or mixed berries)
- ½ frozen banana
- 2 cups unsweetened nut, hemp or coconut milk (pick your preference)
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 Tablespoon flax seeds
Whir it up in the Vitamix (your indispensable kitchen tool)!
- Add a little cold filtered water if you want a thinner consistency.
- The hemp and flax seeds in this recipe = protein and good fats. You can also throw in a handful of macadamia nuts or almonds for the same effect.
- Add any kind of superfoods you like (some of my favorites are maca powder, acai powder and goji berries) and protein powder (I use Sunwarrior vegan vanilla).
- Keep peeled, halved bananas in your freezer at all times! They are perfect for smoothies.