Every once in a while, a vegetarian (not vegan) recipe is going to make an appearance in The Pillar Life Kitchen, so if dairy is not your thing, you can pass this one by. But if you are open to a little egg and cheese every now and then, give this a try. It’s light and delicious. A quiche with a crust made from brown rice, held together with an egg, and flavored with Swiss cheese and fresh garlic. The filling is all about caramelized red onion, spinach, cottage cheese and parmesan. Enjoy this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The savory brown rice crust will have you smiling for days.
And listen, if you do buy dairy do your best to look for organic, benevolent products. That’s important not just for our beloved animal friends, but also for the planet and for our bodies.
6 to 8
For the crust:
- 2 cups raw brown rice
- 4 cups (one box) organic vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup grated baby Swiss cheese
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced.
For the filling:
- 5 oz. (one plastic container) fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
(Preheat the oven to 350)
- First, make your delicious crust.
- Bring two cups of raw brown rice and four cups vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add the granulated garlic and onion, stir, cover and reduce to simmer for about 30 minutes (check cooking times on rice package).
- When the rice is finished cooking, uncover and set aside to cool a bit, about 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together one egg and the Swiss cheese. Add two cups of the cooked rice, and the diced garlic. (You will have rice left over, which is always a good thing.)
- Once the rice mixture is well combined, spread it in a 9-inch glass pie pan – as evenly as possible – to form a crust.
- Refrigerate while you make the filling.
- In a pan, add a bit of olive or avocado oil and sauté the red onion on a low heat until nicely browned.
- Add the baby spinach to the pan, along with the salt and pepper. Saute until the spinach is wilted.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine three beaten eggs, the cottage cheese, parmesan cheese and spinach mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour the filling in the pie crust and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Super simple. Extremely tasty. And healthy (ish).