Normally I say that french fries are just a vehicle for ketchup — a warm, salty ketchup delivery system — but these are different. Oven baked but super crispy. Pre-soaked in apple cider vinegar for extra flavor. Sprinkled with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. This is an elevated fry. Eat ‘em hot out of the oven.
And don’t hold back on the olive oil in this recipe. A few extra glugs in the cookie sheet mean the fries kind of sizzle in the very hot oven.
One cookie sheet full of fries
About 2 hours
- 3 large golden potatoes
- 8 cups of water
- 2 1⁄2 cups of apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (plus more for the cookie sheet)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Scrub potatoes but leave the skin on. Cut in half length wise.
- Put the potatoes in a pot with the water, vinegar and two tablespoons of the salt. The liquid will just cover the potatoes.
- Bring a to simmer, and then turn off the heat, keep the lid on, and let them soak for at least one hour. This will par-cook the potatoes and let the vinegar and salt really soak in.