This scramble is brimming with vegetables. And the few extra touches – the tamari, mustard, nutritional yeast and garlic – really take the flavors over the top, which is important because tofu notoriously has very little flavor of its own, so you do have to jazz it up for it to be delicious.
This dish is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s super fast and easy to make, and if you want an alt for your salads, but something that comes together as quickly as a salad, then … here you go.
30 minutes (that includes all the chopping)
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms (I use two varieties to mix things up)
- 2 (packed) cups chopped curly kale
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 3 Tablespoons tamari
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (this makes the tofu yellow, so it looks like scrambled eggs!)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Generous dash of kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce for serving (optional)
- Chop or grate all the veg BEFORE measuring.
- In a small dish whisk together the tamari and mustard. Set aside.
- Place the mushrooms, kale, onion and carrot in a large non-stick pan with the 2 tablespoons of oil. Sauté on high heat for a moment to coat the veg and get it started cooking.
- Add the broth (this will prevent sticking). Reduce heat to medium high and sauté for five to ten minutes until the veg is all nicely cooked through.
- Remove the tofu from the package and discard the water (you don’t have to do that annoying thing of squeezing it dry). Using both hands, break it apart over the pan, and add all of it to the vegetable medley.
- Break the tofu apart even more with the edge of the spatula. There should be no huge tofu chunks left when you’re done.
- Sauté for a few minutes. Add a bit more broth if you need to.
- Pour the tofu-mustard sauce over all. Stir well with the spatula.
- Sprinkle with the nutritional yeast and granulated garlic. Stir well again.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Dish out the scramble into bowls and sprinkle with your favorite hot sauce if you so desire. Serve with a little tomato and avocado salad on the side. (Up to you, but it’s nice.)